I don't know what to call it.
I was going to say "dry spell" until I Googled it (I Google everything!) and got the Urban Dictionary definition.
Dry spell: To go for a long period of time without something. This usually refers to illegal narcotics, but can also refer to sex.
Wow. We've sure come a long way from the Dust Bowl era of the not-so-"Dirty Thirties" (at least not Urban Dictionary dirty)! Whatever happened to dry spell referring to a period of time in which it didn't rain?
My mom is right - those drugs are everywhere.
We used to make fun of my mom because every time she would see a police car pulled over in the local Maverick (gas station) she'd say, "It's a drug bust! Those drugs are everywhere!".
According to Urban Dictionary, she is right.
Anyway...back to my original thought - Viva la Vida hasn't been so...viva...lately. It's felt kinda "blah".
Maybe I should change the title to Blah Vida - The Dull Life. Because that's what I'm feeling. Dull and lifeless.
Like I need a haircut.
I think it is time to bust out my paper and pen. Or...for the sake of the blog...my computer. About ten years ago my dear friend Just Me & The Cat decided to make our summer list. It was the summer before I moved back to the East Coast and for the 30 days before I left we decided that we were going to try/do something new each and every day.
So we made our list.
A Bucket List of sorts. We had things like: go to a rodeo in cowboy gear; bleach our arm hair; learn to wax; catch the neighborhood Peeping Tom; attend a senior citizen dance; go tanning...and a bunch of other things on it. Of those 30 items....I can only remember six. Why? Because those six got us into deep doo-doo.
- Western hospitality politely asked us to leave their rodeo.
- We added too much Activator to the bleach concoction so we were on the floor in pain with hair dryers pointed at each other because that bleach just....itched! Worst 8 minutes of my life... To. This. Day.
- Don't even get me started on the waxing...
- A neighbor boy actually caught the Peeping Tom and got thrown in jail for beating him up.
- We attended the senior citizens dance and got a 90 year old stalker named Ray. I still want to throw up at the thought of his bad breath. I had to turn my head away because the smell made me gag...which wasn't very nice during a time I was sincerely trying to be nice.
- The tanning salon was by far the worst of our "try something new" adventures. At 11:50pm we realized we didn't get our new experience in for the day. Luckily the tanning salon was open 24-hours so we jumped in the car to make it there by midnight. Just Me & The Cat (who really doesn't have a cat by the way....) is an olive skinned girl. Me....not so much.
I fell asleep in the new "ultra" bed and still have the burn lines.
But we had a lot of fun and ten years later...we still laugh about it. That's the kind of excitement I need for Viva la Vida.
Maybe I'll start with a new haircut. After all, this is not the Blah Vida - The Dull life. At least not yet. Not without a fight...
Any other suggestions for my summer list of new adventures?
Help a girl out. (please)